We have all experienced being invited to a special occasion and not known what to do with our hair. You want to create a simple, elegant upstyle that looks beautiful but effortless but you don’t have the knowledge to create it.
The best solution would be visiting your Hair Stylist, as you know he/she would create the ‘special style’ you were looking for BUT you forgot to make an appointment or you left it too late. We know you have felt the frustration!
Well, we have created a How To Create an Upstyle or Updo in the comfort of your own home Tutorial.
The key to our Simple Elegant Updo is starting with Smooth Hair. To achieve a Smooth Blowdry, make sure you have a high quality hairdryer and a Boar/Nylon Blowdry Brush and then watch our Blowdry Smooth Tutorial for all of the Tips and Techniques!
After you watch our Video, if you want Step by Step written instructions, refer below:
To achieve the beautiful, elegant side updo seen in our Updo Tutorial, all that is required is a smooth Blow Dry and the use of a Hot Tong. For those of you who are not sure how to blowdry your hair smooth or use a hot tong, please refer back to our Blowdry Tutorial Video or Curl With A Hot Tong Tutorial.
For now, sit down and get excited because once you have the techniques to achieve this beautiful look, you will be thrilled.
Let’s Get Started:
1. Section away the hair from the top of the head down to the top of the ear on both sides using section clips. If you don’t have section clips, you can use bobby pins instead.
2. Next, we are going to create lots of height on top of the head. We do this by taking manageable-sized sections from the top of the head all the way to the back of the crown. Back comb each section with a tail comb or a brush. Feel free to add some lacquer for some extra support.
3. Now we need to smooth the top layer of hair directing the hair to one side of your head. Keep spraying with lacquer to keep in place.
4. Once smooth, tie the hair securely to one side.
5. To create a little more volume, use the end of your tail comb. Gently place it under the hair and lift.
6. We are now taking the small sections of hair from the ponytail. Wind the hot tongs smoothing it out all the way to the ends. Hold for 2-3 seconds, then release.
7. Grab the hair, twirl it around your fingers, and pin it in with bobby pins. Continue creating curls pinning them into the gaps to create more volume. There are no rules as to how to position the curls. Just be creative.
8. We are now curling the front side section from halfway down the hair. Then, pin this section behind the ear letting it fall slowly to give it a romantic feel. Repeat the same process on the opposite side.
9. Feel free to add a decorative hairpiece for an added effect.
- Always use bobby pins that are as close to your hair colour as possible.
With a little patience and practice, you will have the techniques to achieve that beautiful, elegant look.