Would you like to learn how to Curl Your Hair with a Hot Tong and then create a range of gorgeous updos? Well, if you are looking for Hair Tips that will teach you how to create beautiful curls with Tongs, this is the Tutorial for you.
Remember, if you are going to a formal affair or you want to mix it up a little, watch until the end of the Video Tutorial and we will teach you how to create a variety of curled updos. If those styles are not for you, then maybe our Elegant Updo Tutorial is more for you!
If you don’t have Curling Tongs, don’t worry, check out our Curl with a Straightening Iron Tutorial instead.
After you watch our Video, if you want Step by Step written instructions, refer below:
In this Instruction Sheet we will outline the step by step process to achieve gorgeous, bouncy curls with a hot tong.
We will also demonstrate a few different ways you might like to wear your curls just to mix it up a little.
Before we get started on curling with a hot tong, it is important that you have smoothed out hair. If you need help in achieving smooth hair, visit our Blowdry Your Hair Smooth Tutorial.
Also, feel free to apply a volumising spray or lotion to achieve a more defined curl.
• Adjust the heat of the curling tong according to the texture of the hair.
• Coarse hair = high heat.
• Fine hair = medium heat.
Let’s Get Started:
1. Section the bottom portion of the hair from ear to ear, and clip the remaining hair out of the way. You will then divide the hair further depending on how much curl you want.
2. Place the tongs halfway down the hair and start to turn the hair in the direction of the curl.
3. Release the clamp slowly with your fingers or thumb to allow the barrel of the tongs to collect more hair. At the same time, wind the tongs towards the scalp. Do not fully release the clamp or you will lose all the hair.
4. Repeat this process making sure that you get the hair all the way to the ends. Allow 3-5 seconds for the hair to heat and set. Release the clamp of the tongs and remove from the hair.
5. Now create another section. One inch higher than the last. Again, split the section further down the centre and then start following the same curling process. Remember, the less hair you wind around the curling tong, the more curl you hair will have.
6. Take another section approximately one inch, that will span the diameter around the head. Clip the rest of the hair away. Work from the front of your face to the back of your head. Take a section. Again, the size of the section will depend on how much curl you want.
7. Place the hot tongs halfway down the hair, and start to turn the hair in the direction of the curl. Following the same process, release the clamp slowly with your fingers or thumb to allow the barrel of the tong to collect more hair. At the same time, wind the tongs towards your scalp.
10. Determine where your part line will be. If you want the curls off your face, direct the curling tong backwards. However, if you want the curls on your face, direct the curling tongs forwards. Follow the steps described above on the hair around your part line.
Congratulations on creating salon-quality curls with your hot tongs!