CHOOSING THE PERFECT HAIRSTYLE
Getting a new hairstyle can be stressful. You may be confused about what looks best, or you may simply want to try something different.
You should make sure that your hair stylist knows your hair and has a good instinctual feel for what will look good and what will not. If you have a good grasp on what kind of shape your face is before visiting your stylist, you will be better able to communicate the kind of style you are looking for.
A good rule of thumb is that you should try to achieve an oval face shape with your hairstyle, which is a balanced and pleasing shape for the human eye.
Round faces have round, soft jaw lines, cylindrical faces, and tall, round cheekbones.
- The best hairstyle for a round face is one that provides balance.
- Don’t go for full, round hairstyles that make your face look even rounder than it is.
- Try parting your hair on the side, or adding waves or layers to minimize the circular shape of your face.
- Height at the crown of the head will give the illusion that you have a thinner/narrower face shape
- Focus on achieving a square shape with your cut and style.
- If you want a fringe/bangs then be sure sweep them to the side. If you have bangs that stop straight at the nose it will create a rounder effect.
Celebrities with Round Face Shapes: Kirsten Dunst, Christina Ricci, Kate Winslet, Kelly Clarkson, Selena Gomez, Catherine Zeta Jones
The best style for a square face is one that adds curves to your face
- Add volume on top to round out your face, and consider curls or waves to soften the angles.
- To create a softer jawline, wispy hair across the face is optimal.
- Think sleek – avoid anything that cuts off at your chin or jaw, because that will simply highlight the sharp angles of your jaw.
- Long, straight hairstyles will not do you any favors, unless they are full bodied.
- The key here is volume.
- Aim for styles that have volume at the crown area
The best hairstyle for a long face provides balance and makes the face appear a little shorter.
- Add layers to your hair to provide additional balance
- Try wearing your hair forward.
- A haircut with bangs may also help shorten your face.
- Cutting your hair too short or growing it too long will disrupt the balance you are trying to achieve.
- Medium length hair is best for this face shape.
The best hairstyle for an oval face is hard to define, because oval shapes are by far the most flexible. People with Oval Faces can wear almost any hairstyle!
- Oval faces suit long or short hair, straight, wavy, or curly.
- Avoid Styles that hang over your face
- You can choose to place layers near any facial feature you would like to highlight eg. lips, chin, cheek
- Focus on your personality and your unique facial features.
Your face shape isn’t the end all and be all of choosing the perfect hairstyle, but it is important. Other things you should consider include your personality, and what kind of effort you are willing to put into styling your hair every day.
If you are willing to take the extra time to curl or straighten your hair every day, a more intricate and complicated style may be right for you. If you don’t care for hair maintenance and need a look that can go from the shower out the door, you may want a simpler cut.
These guidelines can help you narrow the options before you walk into the salon, but if you are still hesitating, discuss the possibilities with your stylist before they pick up the scissors.